Flavoursome tea with many health benefits!
Jamaica Valley™ Lemongrass tea, is a rich flavourful tea, that children and adults can enjoy for the taste, as well as the many health benefits. Fever grass or lemongrass is a popular herbal tea in Jamaica.
Many other herbal teas have a number of health benefits, however the taste is often awful! This is where Jamaica Valley’s Lemongrass tea knocks others out of the water. Subtly citrusy in taste, this tea gives you a cleansing feeling.
Their are a number of great health benefits which come from lemongrass (find stated below) and as a company that supports agriculture in Jamaica, you can enjoy the tea knowing your giving back to the beautiful island of Jamaica. Our family also love it!
The only thing we would say is the tea bags are pretty packed with lemongrass, so you have to really squeeze them to get the full flavour, saying that, it allows you to refill your cup with hot water, using same bag without the flavour going!
If you’re looking for a flavoursome herbal tea that is not so harsh or bitter. This tea is for you.
Nutritional Value of Lemongrass
Lemongrass is an aromatic storehouse of essential nutrients providing a wide array of health benefits. It is a source of essential vitamins such as vitamin A, vitamin B1 (thiamine), vitamin B2 (riboflavin), vitamin B3 (niacin), vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid), vitamin B6 (pyridoxine), folate and vitamin C. It also provides essential minerals such as potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, manganese, copper, zinc and iron, which are required for the healthy functioning of the human body. It offers no harmful cholesterol or fats.
- Cholesterol:. Studies have shown that the regular consumption of lemongrass has shown significant results in sustaining healthy levels of triglycerides and reducing the LDL cholesterol in the body. This helps in preventing
- Detoxification: Lemongrass helps in cleansing and flushing harmful toxic wastes out of the body, as a result of its diuretic properties. Detoxification helps in better regulation of various organs of the body, including the liver and kidney, while also helping to lower the levels of uric acid. The diuretic effect of lemongrass helps in increasing the quantity and frequency of urination, which helps in maintaining digestive health, eliminating accrued fats, and assisting in maintaining a clean system.
- Insomnia: Lemongrass aids in calming the muscles and nerves which helps in inducing deep sleep. Research has shown that lemongrass tea has sedative and hypnotic properties which help in increasing the duration and quality of sleep.
- Respiratory Disorders: Lemongrass is widely used in modern medicine for its healing effects in treating coughs and colds. Along with other beneficial components, the vitamin C content present in it helps in providing relieffrom nasal blockages, flu and other respiratory disorders such as bronchial asthma.
- Fever: Lemongrass is a febrifugeand is also known as the ‘fever grass’, owing to its beneficial effects in lowering fevers. The anti-pyretic and diaphoretic effect of lemongrass is extensively used in Ayurvedic medicine for curing fevers by inducing sweating.
- Aches: Lemongrass helps in alleviating the pain and discomfort caused by headaches and migraines due to its analgesic properties. The phytonutrients present in it improve the blood circulation and help in relieving spasms, muscle cramps, sprains, and back aches. It is valuable in treating sports wounds, including dislocations, internal injuries and bruises.
- Nervous System: Lemongrass is a nervine and has been proven to be an tonic for the nervous system. It stimulates the mind and helps in combating convulsions, nervousness, vertigo and various neuronal disorders such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease. It is used in therapeutic baths, which assist in calming the nerves and help in alleviating the symptoms of anxiety and fatigue caused by stress.
- Type-2 Diabetes: Lemongrass has been proven beneficial in treating Type-2 diabetes. Studies have shown that the citral present in it helps to maintain optimum levels of insulin and improves the tolerance of glucose in the body.
- Immune System: Lemongrass helps in restoring the vital systems which are operational in the body, including digestion, respiration, excretion and nervous system. This assists in better absorption of nutrients and strengthens the immune defense mechanism of the body. Lemongrass extracts have a beneficial effect on the inflammatory actions of cytokines, which are the signaling molecules through which the cells communicate and respond in the body. Studies have shown that lemongrass exerts anti-inflammatory action and its constituents such as citral may be the cause behind its inhibitory effects on cytokine production.
- Cellular Health: Lemongrass possesses antioxidant qualities and help in protecting the body cells from the oxygen-derived free radicals. It also helps in the cleansing of blood and strengthens the spleen to discard the tarnished red blood cells. It supports the function of the thymus glands which helps to produce white blood cells. It helps in stimulating regeneration of cells. The folate and potassium content in the stem and leaves of lemongrass aids in DNA synthesis and promotes cell division.
- Edema: Lemongrass is effective in curing the condition of water retention or edema. It has a cleansing effect on lymphatic congestion and helps to soothe the swelling
- Obesity: Lemongrass contains citral, which has been proven to be effective in combating It prevents the accumulation of abdominal fat and promotes the use of stored energy, which helps in preventing diet-induced weight gain. It aids in healthy metabolism and enhances the oxidation of fatty acids in the body.
Just add ice and honey for a refreshing summertime drink.