Oxtail is one dish that everyone loves! its tender, juicy and packed full of flavour!, we have combined the dish with plantain, steamed cabbage and rice and peas! All in one! This recipe is great for Sunday dinner, so go and impress your family with this one! enjoy!
Original Flava’s Oxtail stew
- 2-3lbs Oxtail
- 4 cups of water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1tsp. pepper
- 1tbsp. thyme
- 1tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose seasoning
- 1tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce/Worcester sauce/ browning
- 2 tbsp. cornflour/corn-starch
- 2 tbsp. cooking oil.
- 1 chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 chopped scotch bonnet pepper
- 5 pimento seeds
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 3 chopped spring onions
- 3 Carrots
- Wash Oxtails with water and lemon
- Season Oxtails with salt, pepper, thyme, pimento seed, Minced garlic, all-purpose seasoning, and browning /soy sauce/Worcester sauce and marinate over night
- Pour 2 tbsp. cooking oil in a frying pan on high heat and Add oxtail to the pan and brown throughout for 10-15 mins
- Remove oxtails and put to the side. Add more oil to pot then add Onions, garlic, spring onions, scotch bonnet peppers (chopped), and sortey for 5 mins.
- Then add the oxtails back in the pot along with remaining marinade and Add fresh thyme
- Add 4 cups of water and 1 beef stock to the pot and stir well and cook oxtail for 2.5 hours stirring every 30 mins (medium-high heat)
- Add cornflour/corn-starch to pot and mix well for thicker stew sauce
- Add chopped tomatoes, carrots and mixed peppers and cook for 30 mins more and stir well .(simmer) ( add more water if necessary)
- At this stage meat should be falling of bone and should be tender. (if not cook for longer)
- Finally add butter beans and cook for a further 5 minutes
- ¼ White Cabbage (Sliced) 2 Carrots (Sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ medium onions (sliced)
- ¼ Red peppers
- ¼ Yellow peppers
- ¼ Green peppers
- 3 spring onions (sliced)
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1tsp. black pepper
- 1tsp. mixed herbs
- 1 scotch bonnet
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- In a frying pan add 1 tbsp. Olive oil on high heat
- Then add ¼ White Cabbage (Sliced), 2 Carrots (Sliced), 3 cloves garlic, ½ medium onions (sliced)
- ¼ Red peppers , ¼ Yellow peppers , ¼ Green peppers , 3 spring onions (sliced) , 4 sprigs of fresh thyme 1 scotch bonnet (sliced) and mix together,
- Then add salt, pepper, mixed herbs, and 1tsp. pf butter and mix together
- Then add a little water.
- Cover frying pan and simmer for 7 minutes until soft.
- Sliced skin down the middle and cut off ends of plantain.
- Open plantain and cut half of it.
- Slice plantains.
- Add 1 tbsp. of oil to frying pan on high heat, and then add plantains and fry until golden brown on each side.
- Dry on paper towel to remove excess oil.