Happy New Year guys! Its January and most people are low on funds after Christmas spending, so we have decided to help you out by Making authentic Caribbean food for under £5 with #FIVEPOUNDFLAVA. We are here to help you create delicious FLAVA on a budget making it Easy Affordable and Tasty, Feeding your whole family and friends.
Stewed chicken is a family favourite, tender stew chicken pieces seasoned to perfection with a lingering spice to make everything nice.
Costs are based on Percentage % used of each ingredient pack
Shopped at Tesco
Stew Chicken and rice
- 1kg Chicken Thighs or Leg quarters (£2.25)
- 1 medium onion diced(£0.11)
- 4 garlic cloves diced (£0.15)
- 2 spring onions diced (£.0.12)
- 2 tsp. Salt (£0.09)
- 1 tbsp. Black pepper (£0.15)
- 2 tbsp. All purpose seasoning (£0.16)
- 1 tbsp. Browning (£0.09)
- 2 tbsp. Vegetable oil (0.10p)
- 1 tbsp. Brown sugar (0.07p)
- 500ml water
- 1 whole chilli pepper / scotch bonnet (£0.16p)
- Fresh thyme (£0.23p)
- 2 carrots chopped and halved (£0.18p)
- ½ tomato diced (£0.24p)
- 500g Long grain rice (0.22p)
- 1 tsp. Butter (0.05p)
Total shopping £4.37p
Shopped at Tesco
- Firstly you’ll need to remove skin from chicken and cut into medium sized pieces, then season with salt, pepper, all purpose, onions, garlic, spring onions, browning, then mix together and marinate overnight.
- Then add some vegetable oil into a frying pan along with some sugar and caramelise for a few seconds and add chicken pieces and cooked until browned (close lid)
- After meat had been browned, add ½ cup of water, along with some fresh thyme and chilli pepper then cook down until meat is tender for around 20 minutes. Half way through this process add a likkle more water.
- Add carrots and tomatoes then cook until tender.
- Wash rice and add to a medium sized pot, then add 1 cup of water, making sure water is slightly above rice. Then add a likkle salt, all purpose seasoning, a piece of thyme and spring onions then cook on a low heat for 20 minutes. (Add likkle water halfway through the process then turn off heat and steam).
Serves 4-6 people.
45 minutes cooking time