Homemade Jamaican Patties recipe
Homemade Jamaican patties recipe. This dish is one of the most famous and likeable Jamaican snacks, as it’s great for on the go and has an even greater taste! Everybody loves patties! The flaky crust is delicious and is mainly filled with grounded beef mince, chicken, or saltfish filling and a variety of spices to satisfy your taste buds. When made from scratch at home, the mince have a much more fresh look to the ones in the shop, as the fillings are often processed for longevity. A bit of advice, eating it the next day always had a bit more flavour to the taste!
- 3 cups of flour
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Yellow food colouring / curry powder/ turmeric
- 1 small block shortening/lard
- 1 ½ stick of butter
- 1IB Ground mince beef
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- ½ tsp garlic
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Pimento/ all spice
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1 tsp breadcrumbs/flour
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce or Browning
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Sauce
optional: thyme, all purpose seasoning,
- Firstly sieve 3 cups of flour into a bowl
- Then add 1 ½ tsp of salt, 2tbsp sugar, 1 ¼ yellow egg colouring and mix all ingredients together
- Then add 1 small block of Shortening/lard and 1 ½ stick of butter and break into dry ingredients. And also mix together with hands until mixture turns into crumbs (orangey-yellow colour)
- Mix these ingredients into a ball, wrap in Clingfilm and put in the fridge for 30mins
- Then put 1 Tbsp. of vegetable oil in a frying pan on high heat, then fry onions and scotch bonnet pepper for 3 mins,
- Then add 1llb of Ground beef mince and cook until brown for 10-15mins
- Then add 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, 2 beef stock cubes, 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp all spice, 2 tsp Ketchup, 1 tsp of flour or breadcrumbs 2 tsp soy sauce. Stir well and simmer for 20 mins.
- Take Pastry out of fridge and scatter ½ cup flour on your work surface. Cut your dough into 4-6 pieces and roll dough with rolling pin on floured surface into a long rectangle shape, then fold dough into a small square. Then use your rolling pin to roll dough into a circular shape, then use a cereal bowl and imprint into dough. Use a knife to cut around the dough and remove bowl.
- Then place beef mince (saucy and juicy) onto get dough (lower centre). Then cover the mince with the dough from one end to the other, use your finger and press on dough to close. Then use a fork and in print pattern in dough. Then poke 3 lines of dots in centre of Pattie.
- Spray a baking try with 1 tsp oil and Place Patties on tray and put in the oven at 180 degrees for 20mins.
- Serve 4-6