Jamaican Festival recipe
Jamaican Festival recipe aka the Ultimate Dumpling as some people call it as Festival tastes similar to dumpling, but has more of a rich flavour and crunchy texture. It’s traditionally used as a side along with dishes such as Ackee and Saltfish and Run down (Mackerel, boiled green banana and dumpling), or as a great on the go tasty snack, ideal for anytime during the day. Check out the video below, it’s really easy to make, can be done in under 15minutes, quicker once you’re more experienced! And best of all it tastes so delicious! Let us know what you think and feel free to send some pictures in! Let’s get cooking! Original Flava style!
Total Time: 20 min
Prep: 10min | Inactive: 5min | Cook: 5min
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 1 Cup Cornmeal
- 3 tsp sugar
- 1tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3tsp baking powder
- 1 cup ice cold water
- 1 cup Oil
- Optional 1 beaten Egg
- Put 1 1/2 cups of flour and 1 cup of cornmeal in to a bowl and mix together.
- Then add 3 tsp of Sugar, 1 tsp salt 3 tsp Baking powder and Vanilla into the bowl and mix all together.
- Add Half a cup of water into the bowl and mix with hands.
- Then add another half a cup of ice cold water gradually.
- Mix untill you form a medium- large ball.
- Then wrap dough in foil and put in fridge for upto 15 mins.
- Cut the dough into 8 peices carefully and roll into a long thick shape.
- Place rolled long shaped pastry carefully into frying pan with 1 cup of vegetable oil. (make sure oil is sizzle hot – then lower to medium heat after placing pastry in)
- Cook untill golden brown on each side for 5 min. Then place festival onto kitchen towel and let it rest. Then serve
- Serves 4 people.