Caribbean Sorrel Drink is one of the most traditional beverages in the Caribbean, especially in the festive Christmas season, ours is based on the Jamaican recipe. Sorrel is a refreshing and strong drink infused with key ingredients such as sorrel plant petals, rum and ginger, the sugar is used as a sweetner to blend the mixtures together and the ginger is the ingredient that gives this beverage it’s main flavour . The key is to refridgerate the contents overnight, and also allowing the drink to rest for a couple days in the fridge after you’ve finished all the steps, this provides a more authentic & fuller taste. Use the rum amount to your discretion and, we trust you to drink responsibly! 🙂 Merry Christmas and enjoy!
2 cups sorrel
3 oz ginger, grated
5 pimento seeds
1 tsp Cinnamon
2 cups sugar
1 Tbsp lemon juice
White rum (to your discretion)
- Wash 2 cups of sorrel and place in a large pot
- Pour 8-10 cups of water over the sorrel and add 3oz grated ginger, 5 pimento seeds,
- Add 4 clove, 1 tsp cinnamon stir well and bring to a boil ; stir and place in fridge overnight to chill. (Orange peel optional)
- Strain the sorrel into a bowl, make sure you push down on the sorrel to get the maximum juice out.
- Add 2 cups of sugar, 1 tsp lime and rum and stir well until sugar has dissolved.
- Serve with ice. (For maximum taste let it sit in fridge for a few days)
- Enjoy over ice