Jamaican Rice and Peas recipe made easy!
Jamaican Rice and Peas recipe. This is our version of one of the most traditional Jamaican dishes around, MADE EASY! A more authentic route would be to boil dry gungo peas for around 1hour and 30minutes, however we’ve created a much easier route, without losing the delicious taste! This dish goes great with Jerk Chicken, Curry goat or oxtail! This is our interpretation of Jamaican Rice and Peas made easy. Made with kidney beans. Basmati or long grain rice, it doesn’t matter which you choose, they both taste great!
- Total Time: 55-60min
Prep: 10mins | Inactive: N/A | Cook: 45min
- 2 Cans of red kidney beans /1 pack of gungo peas
- 1 small onion
- 3 spring onions
- 4 thyme branches
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper
- Pimento seeds or 1 tsp all spice
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 1/2 cup of rice (long grain or Basmati)Optional: Butter, All purpose seasoning.
- Pour 2 cans of red kidney Beans or gungo peas in pot and soak in water overnight (water slightly above peas)
- Place Pot on high heat on the stove and bring to a boil.
- Add 1tsp salt 1 tsp black pepper
- Add 1 small onion. 4 branches of fresh thyme, 3 spring onions 2 cloves of garlic 4 Pimento seeds / 1 tsp all spice 1 Scotch bonnet pepper and mix well
- Then add 1 can of coconut milk and stir well
- Wash 2 1/2 cups of rice thoroughly and pour into pot. Then mix rice well.
- Put foil on top of pot for quicker cook and place lid on top. Then cook for 40 mins on medium heat.
- Take out Scotch bonnet pepper
- Mix rice thoroughly from the bottomThen serve 6-8