Hard Food! This is one the of the most authentic dishes in Jamaica, mostly eaten for breakfast. Hard food is a combination of Boiled dumpling, banana and yam and can be eaten with many dishes such as Ackee and saltfish, callaloo, and more. Try this filling dish you’ll be wanted more and more!
- 1.5 cup of flour
- Vegetable oil
- 2 Green bananas
- 250g Yellow yam
- 280g Callaloo
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 lime
Ackee and Saltfish, Boiled dumpling, Boiled Banana, Boiled Yam, Avocado, Callaloo.
- Firstly add 8 cups of water to a pot and boil, add 1 tsp. vegetable oil, salt and lime juice to the boiling water and put the lid on.
- Boiled dumplings
- Mix 1 ½ cup of flour, 1 tsp salt, and ½ cup of cornmeal to a bowl and mix together with a spoon. Then gradually add 1 cup of water and combine all ingredients together into a ball of dough, add more water if necessary.
- Use hands to knead dough, then fold and scoop until dough is smooth and tight.
- Pull of a piece of dough and roll into a flat ball, pat down and make a circular shape and add to boiling water for 5-10 minutes
- Cut skin off yams, and cut into medium blocks, then wash with lime and water. Add Yams to boiling pot for 10 minutes
- Boiled banana
- Wash bananas and cut of ends, then slightly slit a score down the side of banana. Then Add the Bananas to the boiling water for 10 minutes
- All foods should be boiled for a total of 30 minutes together
Slice avocado and break apart, peel skin off and remove the large seed, then slice into even pieces.